Monday, August 17, 2009

The Great Equations by Robert P. Crease

So, it's been almost a month. Comic-Con took up over a week in which I added to my to-blog list. But I have a bunch ready.
Anyway, The Great Equations is a good read, but the enjoyability seems to be monotonically decreasing. I'm not sure if that's because the first few were genuinely more interesting, or if it was some combination of mental drag and the increasing specialization of the sciences. At any rate, the first bit about Pythagoras was brilliant. I didn't know just how many proofs there are, including the guy that wrote hundreds as a hobby.
From there it goes into the details about a lot of our favorite equations, written at a good level for those with some maths background and those without.
All in all a good way to revere the beauty of math and science, and great if you don't yet want to read books for each of the equations featured.

No comments:

Post a Comment