Monday, July 6, 2009

By way of introduction

Apparently I read more than average. In fact, according to the Washington Post, 1 in 4 adults read no books at all. The median overall is four, and the average amongst "active" readers was seven. Older people (not me yet) and women (not me ever) read the most, and the most popular genres are religious works and fiction (sparingly on the former, sometimes on the latter). That's where I come in. Somehow, in between grad school (PhD program starts this fall), distance running, Scottish country dancing, watching goodly amounts of TV, and everything else I do, I easily knock out 4 to 7 books per month. Add in a couple more if you count audiobooks.
Thus this blog. Herein I will chronicle what it is I'm reading, what I think about it, just how good (or sometimes bad) it was, and why you should read it too.
In this spirit, my first recommendation is Nick Hornby's Shakespeare Wrote for Money, a similar work by the inimitable Nick Hornby chronicling his own reading.
My first "real" post will come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment