Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Last Theorem by Sir Arthur C Clarke and Frederik Pohl

This book, the last effort by Arthur C Clarke, could not have come with more recommendations. I heard Sir Arthur himself discuss it on his last Planetary Report interview, as well as seeing it come up in various science/tech sites and programs. Although I am enough of a Clarke fan to enjoy reading anything by him, this book just didn't do it for me.
Although I commit them all of the time, on one dimension this book seemed to be a long name-drop of various sciencey and mathy concepts. Not inherently bad, especially if they move the story along, but these seemed a bit gratuitous. Not enough information about them if you haven't heard about them, and too brief a mention if you have.
I can't explain why, but I was also bugged by how harsh this book was on poor Andrew Wiles. Admittedly, lots of sources are. I know he did not discover Fermat's own proof of his eponymous Last Theorem. However, there is not definitive evidence that that proof, or any other, actually exists, but rather a strong suggestion. The fact that he discovered a proof at all makes him The Man, and even if a potential "Fermat's own proof" is discovered, he will still be the Man. Throw Andrew Wiles a bone, he proved something that people have worked on for hundreds of years and was not necessarily known to be true at all.
As for the story, it was interesting enough, and not a bad attempt at patching together a story. I say patching together as apparently Clarke produced 50 pages of manuscript and 50 more of notes that he handed to Pohl, who assembled it all into the story we see.
Ultimately, if you want one of the less usual Clarke books, I'd recommend The View From Serendip (if you can find a copy anywhere). More on that book when I get round to finishing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment